Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Next Leg of a Journey

So I was going to do this series on paying $50-$80 per week on groceries, but then I realized this blog isn't about the money. I'll just tell you I spend between $50-$80 (never $100!) a week on groceries so when you see me using really awesome looking food, you'll know I don't spend more than you. I do make fifty bucks look good.

Also, my wife decided to do the Reboot after watching the incredibly done Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" a la Joe Cross. I wonder if he knew what the outcome of that documentary was going to be?

The outcome for my wife was astonishing. She doesn't crave chocolate or sweet bread anymore, so I'll have to find something else to bribe her with. She did the 5-5-5 entry reboot, where you move to only micro nutrient foods for the first 5 days, then 5 days of juice only, followed by 5 days of micro nutrients again. She actually did 17 days of juicing, then 7 days re-entry with micro nutrients. I had to revamp the way I cook for her.

Good things came from this journey. I made my first microgreen salad for her. I had to put some grilled veggies next to it because of my natural aversion to leaves:



The dressing is the most valuable thing to come from the first five days. Both vinaigrette and mustard have very low calories and no sugar. Because of this, I developed a honey mustard vinaigrette that would eventually evolve into this:

1 shotglass mustard (brown or dijon work wonderfully)
1 shotglass extra virgin olive oil, cold pressed (it's not more expensive, in fact you can get a little bottle)
1 shotglass organic raw apple cider vinegar
a splash of rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon of blue agave nectar
1 inch of ginger, finely cubed

When you whisk it up, it will be golden in color. It will also be delicious.

If you are adaptable, it doesn't matter what the special dietary need is in your family, you can meet it. Don't run for the hills if you meet a great girl and she has Celiac disease, there will be some posts that follow with gluten free dishes. Don't get caught up with gluten free alternatives, there are plenty of foods that are delicious and aren't trying to be other things.

Many people are going vegan or vegetarian because good meat is hard to find. Don't write them off as hippies, or some other kind of granola eating extremist. If you are a carnivore, think back to your meat-eating ancestors. What do you think they ate if they came back without a kill or the livestock was diseased?

Cooking for love isn't all about the flambe and fine wine, it's about the overall technique.




No comments:

Post a Comment